What is a Green Smoothie?
A lot of people ask me “What is a Green Smoothie”? So below is The Raw Food Mums easy info graphics on how to make a green smoothie. It can be fed to your child from 8 months old.
So What Is A Green Smoothie
A Green Smoothie is made by blending green raw leafy vegetables, such as spinach, kale, swiss chard, collard greens, celery, parsley, broccoli, with fruit(s), such as bananas ( frozen bananas make smoothies creamy), oranges, kiwis, apples, mangoes, pears, and blueberries, and water or ice.
To balance flavor and nutrition the typical ratio in a green smoothie is about 60% fruit to 40% leafy greens.
Here are 5 Good Reasons to Include Green Smoothies in Your Diet:
1. When you add Greens to your smoothies you are digesting the highest alkaline-forming foods. And when blended most of the cells in the greens and fruits are broken down; they actually begin to be digested in your mouth.
2. Highly nutritious: The greens are full of vitamins A, K, D, and E, which are all fat-soluble. Vitamin K helps calcium and phosphorus bind onto the bone protein matrix.
3. You can easily include raw live foods into your diet with a daily Green Smoothie
4. Greens are full of chlorophyll, which purifies the blood, prevents tooth decay, aids in proper digestion, helps detoxify the liver, keeps the thyroid gland in balance, cleanses internal organs, enhances capillary function, supports sex hormones, decontaminates inorganic chemicals, and builds up red blood cell counts.
5. Improved clarity of mind and health: Many notice the clarity of mind when eating greens in their diet, a raw food diet will see the need to sleep less, as well as better elimination and stronger nails and teeth.
Simple Green Smoothie Recipe…
This will make about three full glasses
- What you will need is 1 x high powered blender we use a Vita Mix
- A hand full of Spinach or Kale or you can use Spirulina
- 6 Bananas 2 x Frozen Bananas or you can add other fruit!
- 1 cup of water!
I have also put together a very simple chart which explains what makes up a green smoothie!
Who Started the Green Smoothie Revolution?
For more green smoothie recipes, inspiration and education check out VictoriaBoutenko’s books “Green Smoothie Revolution” (with 200 green smoothie recipes) and her classic “Green For Life”books at her website Raw Family! She started the Green Smoothie revolution!
You can purchase Green Smoothie Revolution at our Online Store