Raw Health: Chlorella
Chlorella is a single celled fresh water algae. It’s among the most ancient life forms on earth and has virtually unchanged in over 2 billion years of existence!
Chlorella is definitely a superfood worth talking about – especially if you’re planning the ultimate detox! Chlorella is one of the richest foods in protein, beta-carotene and the nucleic acids (RNA & DNA) and it contains more chlorophyll than any other food. It also contains vitamin A, all the B’s, C and E in its natural form and is jam-packed with essential minerals including potassium, zinc, magnesium, iron and calcium.
Chlorella has been proven to be effective for the following:
- balancing hormones (relieving PMS, regulating cycles)
- treating ulcers
- balancing the digestive system (improving digestion, relieving constipation)
- increasing the white blood cell count
- reducing or eliminating body odours
- balancing blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar (preventing cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity)
- reducing the occurrence of asthma attacks & allergies
- treating fatigue
- helping to boost the immune response
- protecting the brain & nervous system
- supporting elimination of many kinds of pollutants, like heavy metals and moulds
- boosting tissue growth, healing and repair
- detoxifying harmful radiation, protecting the organs
These are just a few! All in all Chlorella is known as the KING OF ALKALIZERS as it can assist in alkalising our bodies, particular for those wanting to reduce their consumption of acidic foods like meat, dairy and sugar and alcohol.
How do I introduce Chlorella into my diet?
Easy. Chlorella is available in tablet and powder form, both are equally effective. (Check out the Green Nutritionals Chlorella tablets in the Raw Food Store.)
As it is a powerful detoxifying food, it’s always best to ease your way into the chlorella regime slowly, starting with a smaller amount in the first week with an adequate intake of pure water. The effects of detoxification can sometimes be unpleasant i.e stomach upset or nausea, in which case you should reduce the amount you are taking or stop completely and seek medical advice.
Paul Pitchford, leading educator in holistic health, recommends taking the tablet forms. He advises to chew them up at the end of meals or at other times of day to stabilise blood sugar levels and reduce cravings. Chew thoroughly either alone or with a snack such as pumpkin seeds or celery sticks. The great thing is, any residue on the teeth or gums will protect and heal the tissues in the mouth!
If using the powder form, try incorporating a spoonful into smoothies and juices to satisfy your taste buds!
Check out our green collection in the Raw Food Store.
Paul Pitchford, Chlorella: A nutrient – rich algae, viewed 28/05/2014 <http://www.naturodoc.com/chlorella.htm>
Willow Tohi, Chlorella 101: What you need to know about this nourishing superfood, viewed 28/05/2014 <http://www.naturalnews.com/036086_chlorella_superfood_algae.html>
Green Nutritionals, Microrganics, viewed 28/05/2014 <http://chlorella.greennutritionals.com.au>