The hardest thing I found in going Raw was giving up cheese, even though in my head I often put myself in the shoes of the cows and think would I like my boobs attached to a machine all day and my little baby taken away from me! sorry for the kill buzz there! So what is the alternative! Its RAW Cheese and its pretty darn good!
This is the simplest recipe and the closest recipe to making cheese that tastes good cheese. You can add different flavors to this base recipe, like a pesto, sun dried tomatoes, red peppers etc.. and it will store in the fridge in a sealed container for about two weeks – good luck trying to keep it for that long though.
- 2 cups of ( soaked over night) Macadamia Nuts or a mix of macadamia and cashews
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of probiotics
- Blend nuts and water and probiotics in a high powered blender until smooth
- Place a cheese cloth on top of a sieve, then poor mixture on to cheese cloth, fold cheese cloth over the top of the cheese mixture.
- Place a weight on the top of the cheese cloth – this will help push the excess water out from the cheese – a jar filled with water will suffice.
- Cover the jar and jar weight with a tea towel and leave at room temp for 24 hours
- After 24 hours remove cheese mixture and place into a bowl mixing in a pinch of salt, squeeze of lemon an 2 T of nutritional yeast.
- Place cheese in a cheese mold pushing the mixture out to form the cheese.
- Dehydrate at 115 Fahrenheit for a further 12 hours to create a rind.
- And there you have it RAW cheese.