Raw Caramel Crunch Bars
I love getting creative in the kitchen and things have been on hold in that area, as we have been growing our Raw Food Store. But I did manage to get back into the kitchen this week and have a little experiement again with flavours! Raw is not hard, you just need to know a few tricks and you can make any conventional food into a raw treat! I’m calling these my raw caramel crunch bars – and best of all they are nut free for the kids lunch boxes.
These are gluten free as they are made form buckhweat, and the caramel flavour comes from Mesquite – which is full of goodness. Mesquite is high in high protein meal and contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and zinc, and is rich in the amino acid lysine as well. Its low GI of 25 helps maintain stable blood sugar levels. It is a perfect snack to add into the lunch boxes for school.
I hope you enjoy this yummy little snack.. Sarah:)
RAW CARAMEL CRUNCH BARS
This recipe will fill 2 Excalibur dehydrator trays
- 4 cups of buckwheat ( soaked for min 8 hours
- 1/2 cup of dessicated coconut
- 1/2 cup of mesquite powder
- 3/4 cup of coconut oil ( melted )
- 1/4 cup of coconut nectar ( or sweetener- honey does not solidify in dehydrators)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- a pinch of sea salt
- Soak buckwheat overnight (or min 8 hours) in water and drain. Or you can cheat in this recipe and you could use loving earths activated buckins:)
- In a high speed blender ( we <3 our Optimum) blend Mesquite powder, coconut oil, coconut nectar, vanilla and salt until completely smooth.
- Pour buckwheat and dessicated coconut into a bowl and mix well. Pour in remaining blended ingredients and mix well ensuring the buckwheat is covered.
- Spread the mixture evenly on paraflex sheets covering the whole area. Score into cracker sizes and dehydrate for 12 -16 hours. You may need to flip and dehydrate for another 2-3 hours so the underside is completely dry.
- Store in a sealed container – in the fridge or pantry! If they have been dehydrated properly the pantry is fine.