Benefits and uses of Coconut Water and Coconut Oil!
Conventional thought used to consider fats like coconut oil to be unhealthy and contribute to heart disease. We now know that this isn’t true. In fact, coconut oil is actually a heart healthy food that can keep your body running smoother in a few different ways
Benefits of coconut oil.
Studies have show that intake of coconut oil can help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. Even more, it also can help to fight off yeast, fungus, and candida.
Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood sugar control. People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar, for coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.
Can coconut oil reduce cholesterol?
Coconut oil has a saturated fat called lauric acid, a type of MCT. It has been shown that lauric acid increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels. Coconut oil lowers cholesterol by promoting its conversion to pregnenolone, a molecule that is a precursor to many of the hormones our bodies need. Coconut can help restore normal thyroid function. When the thyroid does not function optimally, it can contribute to higher levels of bad cholesterol.
How does coconut help keep weight balanced?
Coconut fats have special fats called medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). It has been shown that breaking down these types of healthy fats in the liver leads to efficient burning of energy. One 2009 study found that women who consumed 30 milliliters (about 2 tablespoons) of coconut oil daily for 12 weeks not only did not gain more weight, but actually had lowered amounts of abdominal fat, a type of fat that is difficult to lose, and contributes to more heart problems.
The Benefits of Coconut Water
1. How can coconut water help with losing weight?
– Coconut water has a thermogenic effect on the body, this means it helps to speed up our metabolism. Our metabolism controls how fast we burn up calories (aka kilojoules), so the faster your metabolic rate is, the more energy you’ll burn resulting in weight loss.
2. How much coconut water is recommended every day?
– I personally drink about 250 ml of cocobella daily, sometimes more if I’ve done lots of exercise, esp Bikram yoga! But for the regular person wanting to gain the health benefits, aim for 150ml per day and up it if you need more hydration (like in the summer or after a personal training session!)
3. Are the benefits of coconut water also found in other coconut products, like fresh coconut or coconut milk?
-Coconut water doesn’t contain fat, so people often prefer to consume that on a daily basis as opposed to the milk. The water contains a nice hit of electrolytes which the body needs straight after exercise. Both the milk and oil contain health benefits, so it’s a great idea to include a variety of coconut products into your eating plan.
4. What is the best way to serve coconut water?
– I love drinking coconut water straight up! But some people find that flavour a bit full on so its also really nice when you mix it with fruit juices. Cocobella coconut water comes in 3 fruit juice blends- pineapple, mango and pink guava- and so is perfect for those who aren’t totally into pure coconut water, but still want to get the health benefits. I sometimes add pomegranate juice and mix through a few fresh pomegranate seeds for a quirky twist and added antioxidant boost!
5. What are the other health benefits of coconut water?
The health benefits of coconut water are pretty impressive- it’s high in natural electrolytes so it’s the perfect post exercise sports drink. It’s also linked to increasing our metabolic rate, thus, helping us to achieve weight loss goals. Plus, it contains this stuff called lauric acids which helps to balance our gut flora, so helps promote healthy digestive function and boosts the immune system! So as you can see, coconut water is pretty awesome!!
Learn how the coconut tree provides all-around benefits — from its husks and roots to coconut oil — through our infographic “Plant of Life: An Infographic on Various Coconut Uses.” Use the embed code to share it on your website.
Learn how the coconut tree provides all-around benefits — from its husks and roots to coconut oil — through our infographic “Plant of Life: An Infographic on Various Coconut Uses.”